According to a new survey of major infrastructure operators in Canada, network traffic increased significantly during the COVID-19 pandemic. An increase of 20% to 40% compared to the same period last year. Analysts say that the main reasons for this explosion in unlimited internet consumption are telework, entertainment, and the need to learn online. Details.
In March, when the majority of countries started their containment, many companies opted for telework as a temporary solution to continue their activities. This way of working is important in the current circumstances, but to succeed it is absolutely necessary to have good unlimited internet service at home. The technology provides employees with a number of digital tools that facilitate remote working and make it much more practical:
- Zoom: Zoom is a simple videoconferencing solution, with impressive potential. It can be installed on Windows, macOS and Linux computers, as well as on mobile devices. Business staff often use this app to host online meetings, get free messaging, and share content in real time.
- Google Drive: it is a cloud file storage and sharing service launched by the company Google. You can use it for personal or professional purposes. If companies choose Drive Enterprise, they only pay for the storage space used by their employees. They often use this service during telecommuting to keep important files, hence the importance of unlimited internet service. They use this digital tool to store photos, recordings, videos, audios, etc.
- WeTransfer: WeTransfer is a tool for sending large files. Simple and fast, employees use it to exchange important documents with collaborators. The sending capacity can go up to 2 GB for free and without registration. Employees also take advantage of the application to save documents from their various devices, sort them and share them with employees.
- Trello: it is the simplest and most widespread task management tool for web professionals. Employees can, thanks to the unlimited internet service, have a point of view on all projects in the office, as at home. With the app, they can import files, chat with coworkers, create tables to organize their tasks, and even attach files from Google Drive and Dropbox. The Trello app is free in its basic version, and will always remain so.
- Skype: this application facilitates communication between coworkers online, by offering some practical options like: voicemail, instant messaging, call forwarding, conference calling and Skype video. Managers also use this application to manage activities remotely.
For many of us, time is long during confinement and often synonymous with boredom. Some influential personalities are therefore trying to change the gloom of this period, by offering varied content online, to the delight of their subscribers:
- There are YouTubers who offer different content every day on their channels. They film their daily lives, make live videos with their subscribers to lighten the mood and sometimes they share simply their point of view on containment and the epidemic.
- Coaches are also present on the various platforms to offer free online coaching sessions to young people and athletes who are lacking in exercise. The goal is to help them to distress, and stay in shape during the period of the pandemic.
- For fans of online series, many use the internet service to watch their favorite series at home: medical series, comedies, documentaries, soap, etc. Internet users take advantage of multiple online platforms to not miss any series. They have the choice between different platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime video, OCS, Apple TV +, Disney +, etc.
- Finally for children and adolescents, they can remain positive during confinement by downloading games and online entertainment applications. According to statistics, the number of online gamblers have increased sharply since the start of the pandemic. The most popular entertainment apps are: HouseParty, Skype, Whatsapp, and TikTok which became the second most downloaded app in the world this year.
Online education of students
In this period of containment, all the barriers fell and e-learning became widespread. Governments around the world have decided to provide pedagogical continuity through the Internet and VoIP residential telephony to allow students to continue their studies remotely. This use has resulted in the establishment of multiple platforms:
- Zoom: it is an instant messaging platform for meetings with up to a hundred participants. Convenient and simple to install, students often use it to follow lessons, chat with teachers, and share files with participants.
- Virtual libraries: libraries around the world face difficult decisions ranging from minimal restrictions to total closure. Fortunately, students can consult the virtual libraries to follow the courses and prepare for final exams of the year.
- Hangout Meets: this solution provides a reliable and economical video conferencing service. The objective for educators is to create, through this application, an atmosphere conducive to learning for students.
- Youtube channels: with the coronavirus, teachers have started to invent new methods to keep in touch with students. Some have started posting open access courses, others have created their own channels to offer courses to students. Each one of them has its own method, but they all aim to help students succeed in their final exams.
- Online learning videos: there are many digital online learning tools on the internet. These tools offer a variety of learning programs that help children to learn more about some basic skills.
Checking for news online
In these difficult circumstances, the need for information is growing stronger for Canadian citizens. Recent statistics show that their daily use of news sites has increased significantly. It has even sometimes doubled in recent months, which is proving to be of great interest to Canadians confined to local information.
Finally, to cope with the high demand and flow on the networks, internet operators will continue to make investments to develop national networks and deploy new internet technologies. This type of investment really contributes to the evolution of the Canadian economy and to the satisfaction of the country’s citizens.